Canadian Children's Book Centre Our Choice, 2007
Born in a mountain cave in Alaska, three grizzly cubs wait out the winter with their mother. When spring finally arrives, the mother grizzly leads her babies down the mountain to the river. But the mother is wary; there are big male bears near the water, and they are a danger to her children. When they are older, the cubs will be ready to fish in the river with the adult bears. But for now they will retreat up the mountainside. There the cubs will absorb the lessons that will one day ensure their survival.
- Original color photographs taken in the wild
- Simple, informative stories
- Includes a Did You Know?" section of interesting facts
- Complete with introduction, table of contents, and index for parents and teachers
- A fine introduction to nature for preschoolers and primary readers
- 4-color poster available